Tuesday, March 26, 2013

March 22-24: Naples, Pompeii, and Sorrento

Hey everybody,
I know it has been awhile since I blogged but I have been really busy with school. I only have a couple weeks left and I have presentations to work on for pretty much all of my classes. I am also working on a digital photography assignment. I have 6 self portraits and 6 portraits of other people due tomorrow. I have five out of the twelve done so today will be my major work day. I also got all my midterms back and my lowest grade was a B+ I think! I am really happy about that!
Now to share a bit on my latest trip!

Friday:
We all met in front of the school at 7:30am on Friday to get on our private bus for Sorrento. It was a long bus ride but luckily we made plenty of stops. I think it took us around 8 hours to get there. We stayed at the Hotel del Corso in Sorrento during out trip. It was so beautiful in Sorrento. I would definitely go back. I didn't feel uncomfortable walking the streets at all. It was a nice, little town on the coast. After all of us had gotten our rooming situation figured out we headed to a Limoncello tasting. I personally wasn't a fan of the Limoncello but then again I am not a big alcohol drinker either. After the tasting we had free time to explore Sorrento. I walked around with a Emily, Rachel, and Olivia. We just checked out some shops and then went to check out the view of the Tyrrhenian sea. The temperature was perfect. After our long walk we decided to get something to eat. I forgot the name of the place we ate but I will ask my teacher today. We ordered a plate of octopus to share. It actually wasn't too bad. I was a little skeptical but it was pretty good. I also ordered asparagus soup which was really good. After dinner we had gelato at this pretty famous place. I got pear and ricotta with mixed berry gelato. Yum! I really haven't had too much gelato while here, I better start taking it all in before I am back home. After gelato we headed back to the hotel for our big day in Pompeii.
 



Saturday:
After breakfast we got back on the private bus to Pompeii. We had a nice long tour of Pompeii, our teacher Lorenzo was our tour guide for this. It was very interesting to see this ancient city and to get to walk the same streets people did so many years ago. The saddest part was seeing the bodies of the people who died in Pompeii. Their body forms were preserved from the ash of the volcano so you can see that they were trying to cover their mouth and nose or some bodies would be holding their child trying to protect them. I just can't imagine the terror in that moment. Mout Vesuvius was big and beautiful in the background of the town. My roommate and a friend went to the top of Mount Vesuvius after the tour in Pompeii also and really enjoyed it. After the tour we had some pizza then headed back to Sorrento where we could choose to go to Capri or Amalfi Coast. By the time we got back though we wouldn't have time to go to either and be back by 7pm for dinner. A group of people ended up going though and just skipped the dinner. I just stayed in Sorrento and walked the streets and coastline some more. It was a beautiful day. We had dinner at Da Emilia Ristorante. I split a plate of fresh seafood with Rachel and Olivia. I tried so many new things this weekend. There was oysters, clams, shrimp, anchovies, and octopus on the plate we ordered. It was all very delicious. I had so much fun with those girls. We had many laughs. After dinner we headed to the hotel for the night.
 




Sunday:
Our last day of the trip we packed up and headed to Naples. This is my blog so I am just going to be completely honest. Naples was a dump, in my opinion. It was nice getting to go into the Cathedrals on Palm Sunday and see what their services are like, that part I actually really enjoyed. It was great seeing all the people with their palm leaves heading to church to get them blessed. Naples was really dirty though. There was garbage everywhere. There was so commotion going on that it was hard to hear the tour guide also so it made learning the history very hard. We ate at the place where the Margherita pizza was invented, the food was so good. We were all ready to get out of Naples after that though. It was a nice long weekend of sunshine. We all had proof it was sunny out with our lobster red faces.
 
I had a blast this past weekend and would definitely go back to Sorrento. I felt very comfortable there and the views were beautiful! I'm on week twelve of school, I can hardly believe it. Only about a month and I am back in good ol' Wisconsin. I am going to miss this place so much but will be overjoyed to see my family and friends and of course Buster and Zoey.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment